History, Location, and Curriculum
Philosophy, Purpose, and Objectives
Founded in 2006, West Coast Adventist School, is part of the Seventh-day Adventist educational system. We draw on the experience of our school system and combine that with new technology to enable us to bring you Adventist Christian education no matter where you live in British Columbia. In keeping with the SDA education philosophy of recognizing the role of parents as the primary educators of their children this school will be a natural fit. SDA parents, many of whom want an Adventist component in their home program, it made sense that the Distributed Learning option be offered. We are offering grades K-12 currently.
West Coast Adventist School is located at: Box 1000, 1626 McCallum Rd, Abbotsford, BC V2S 4P5
The school follows curriculum guidelines established by the BC Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, and meets or exceeds the requirements set by the BC Ministry of Education.
Our mission at West Coast Adventist School is to provide the highest quality Adventist Christian education in a Distributed Learning environment.
Back to top
We believe that all true wisdom and knowledge comes from God, who is the Creator and sustainer of the entire universe is the source of knowledge and wisdom. In His image, God created man perfect. Because of sin, man lost his original estate. Christian education, through the harmonious development of the physical, the mental, and the spiritual powers, and by perfecting faith in Christ,
- Restores in us the image of God,
- Nurtures in us an dedication to work with God on earth
- Develops in us a willingness to serve others, and
- Prepares us for the higher joy of eternal life.
We accept divine revelation as the guiding principle of our philosophy of education. We believe that teachers are servants of God, and that students are children of God. We operate our school to ensure that our youth may receive a balanced physical, mental, moral, and social education in harmony with Christian standards and ideals, with God as the Source of all moral value and truth.
The specific objectives of the school are as follows:
- Spiritual—To encourage and help students to have a personal relationship withJesus Christ, a true knowledge of God, and a desire to do His will.
- Mental – To help students develop habits of accuracy, diligence, and sound judgment, based on Christian principles and provide academic training in a variety of subjects which allow students to move successfully to other learning institutions. To help students know how to learn as well as how to speak, read, write, and compute.
- Social—To help students develop a desirable personality while learning to value, respect and relate to others in loving and considerate ways. The school wants to produce young people with sound interpersonal skills, with the ability to contribute to social progress, fairness and justice, and who can make a difference in the next generation.
- Physical—To teach and encourage students to develop a healthy lifestyle, enabling them to enjoy personal health so that they can be of service to God and man.
We encourage parental involvement at our school. The success of the school depends in a large measure upon cooperation between parents and teachers. Parents are encouraged to maintain an interest in their child’s education, and the teacher will be available to discuss the student’s progress.
West Coast Adventist School is a distributed learning institution offering grades Kindergarten through twelve. The Seventh-day Adventist Church in British Columbia owns the school. The school board is comprised of the officers of the Office of Education, SDABC and representation from the K-12 Board of Education, WCAS Administration and the constituency.
The Ministry of Education through the Independent School branch ensures that standards are maintained in educational programs, staff qualifications and facilities. The Federation of Independent School Associations (FISA) acts as a liaison between the government and the various Independent School groups who works with government and other groups to promote support of independent schools.
The Administration of the West Coast Adventist School is designed to ensure that:
- The stated philosophy is upheld.
- The parents’ concerns regarding education of their children are fully expressed and meet with this philosophy.
- WCAS meets the requirements of the Independent Schools Branch of the British Columbia Ministry of Education.
WCAS is responsible for all student’s private information and will ensure that it is handled properly, that it will not give access to or disclose any information outside of the school’s jurisdiction and will store all student records in a safe environment in compliance with the paper entitled, “Student Records: Requirements and Best Practice Guidelines for Independent Schools”.
Back to top